A FURNITURE PIONEER
Credit: McLeod & Smith. Upholstered Furniture, 1914-15.
Minneapolis, MN, The Company, 1914
McLeod & Smith, Inc. Headquarters is a complex of two buildings at 700 Central Avenue constructed in 1897 and 1909. McLeod & Smith, Inc. was one of the largest and earliest successful furniture manufacturers in Minneapolis during the late 19th and early 20th century. Established in 1888, McLeod & Smith quickly rose to prominence as a pioneer in manufacture of upholstered furniture in the city. By 1905, the company was, according to the Minneapolis Journal, the largest factory of upholstered furniture in the northwest.
Credit: McLeod & Smith. Furniture Journal, October 10, 1904, p.20
As the first upholstered furniture company to establish a presence in the city’s east side industrial corridor (formerly St. Anthony Falls), the McLeod & Smith complex also helped lead the charge for the development of Minneapolis’ thriving furniture district during the early 20th century. McLeod & Smith, upholstered furniture manufacturers “of all kinds,” utilized these two buildings as their manufactory, offices, showroom, warehouse and storage space from 1897 until 1938, the last year the company is listed in the Minneapolis city directory. The following year, an unnamed furniture manufacturer and a casket maker moved into the four story building, and LaBelle Safety Storage, utilized the seven story building in full.